31 January 2013

Seven Weeks of Handsome

My boys will be seven weeks old tomorrow! I can't believe how quickly time is flying. Max and Miles were baptized this past Sunday the 27th, and it was just beautiful. More on that later.

The boys are each about ten pounds now, even heavier than I estimated! Miles looks smaller but was a little heavier on the scale. We call him "the squeaky wheel, "as he is almost always making noise and usually has a nipple in his mouth to keep him quiet. Max is a little more subdued and patient, so I'm guessing that's why he's a little lighter.

I am nursing them about 12-18 times daily (combined) and supplementing as needed. I estimate they receive about 4-6 ounces of formula each per day. They are both sleeping with us and nursing on demand, so they usually have a couple of ounces first thing in the morning when the well is completely dry, an ounce or so while I'm fixing dinner and a few ounces just before bed to fill them a little. I'm fully aware of the supply and demand concept and while my supply will certainly support their demands, I cannot possibly explain how difficult it is nursing newborn twins. The formula isn't for growth so much as a break for Mama's very, very sore body. It is so nice to be able to give them a bottle after sitting on the couch ALL day and alternating babies and breasts. My current breastfeeding goal is 3 months, and then I hope to get to 6 months. I am sick right now and am taking sudafed, so it's important that I nurse them even more to keep my supply solid. Needless to say, increasing our breastfeeding doesn't help me get better any faster! I'm pretty tired and depleted right now, but so happy that nursing is going so well.

The boys are waking twice a night lately, which is fine. They're usually up for the morning around 5, so Andrew and I are adjusting our schedule accordingly! This time passes quickly, so we're making do. I usually have an opportunity to naptime during the day, so Andrew tries to seek refuge elsewhere at night to get a solid block of sleep while I nurse them through the wee hours, and then joins us between four and six am to help with the last of the wakings. It's working okay. On the nights where the boys fall asleep well in their cribs, Andrew and I try to fall asleep together for the first few hours. It's hit or miss, but it'll be over before we know it!

You have got to be kidding me. There was more, but my phone crashed and I lost it. I will never figure out this whole technology thing.

No comments: